The Unusual Day...

It was an unusual day, since the morning. My head felt heavy, and I was almost sure I overslept. All I could think of after stepping out of bed was to rush into the shower and push something in my mouth as an excuse for breakfast. The only friend I had these days was tea; all I seem to want in mornings, evenings and nights and in between my tea breaks. I rushed to my scooter, my faithful, whose servicing was delayed for six months now. I committed to myself that this weekend it will be devoted to its servicing, like it had been moments ago, for the dying plant in the only pot I own, like the pile of clothes who seek washing and ironing, like the book I started a week back. It was then a thought crossed my mind what if I were to see no more weekends, anyways I was too late for any thoughts. 

I rushed towards work, covering my usual tracks in the ramshackle roads of Ranchi, over crowded and ever crowded. When some thing like a few drops of water hit my head I realised I forgot my helmet again in hurry. In the only while I took to curse my forgetfulness, I noticed a the mini truck coming towards me trying to halt, meanwhile like anything very regular, a guy tried stealing in the place between me and the truck slipped his vehicle right in place. The mini tipper came rushing in & halted, jerking everyone around in its radius. The rickshaw puller had the worst impact and toppled over, the guy who adjusted himself minutes ago in the gap, got crashed heavily and had fell with his vehicle on his head, although he wore an helmet, he was bleeding from his head, as well extremities. He was rushed to hospital immediately and I jerked myself to consciousness and rushed to work. 

Even at work, the incident kept playing over and over in my head. When people kept scampering in and out with papers and were shouting over their computer screens, my mind wasn’t able to leave the highway. It kept lingering at the same place, I decided that since I will not be able to contribute anything worthwhile at work today, I shall excuse myself to where it could be worthwhile. I immediately made all those pending calls to friends and family, I promised to call on weekends, which never came. I left for the river side I wanted to go a few weekends ago but then it was either too hot, too late or too far to visit. I sat beneath the tree, while being pampered by the soft breeze, and completed my book left pending on kindle. Something in the corner of the road with bells tinkling reminded me that my mother asked me to visit a temple a few months ago, something about peace of mind; and I decided that my home was peaceful enough for me. Hence I washed up and headed towards the nearest Ganesh temple, it was indeed peaceful. But something was strange the beggars outside constantly detoured around me, I thought may be it indeed is a lucky day for me. All these and no food since morning, I then remembered a friend recommending the best litti-chokha (Bihari traditional dish) in town. I was headed towards it when I realised I was out of gas, i stopped and thought the next stop must be the service station for my rampyari. Satiated, I reached home and realised my parents, friends, family everyone was there gathered around in the centre of the hallway. Inscents ablaze, flowers all around, it was me with head smashed and blood around. 


That is when the alarm when blazing. It was an unusual day, since the morning. My head felt heavy, and I was almost sure I overslept. But all I could think of was getting in the shower to get the blood off my head.  

Comments